Advice and benefits

Support our residents

We want to support the ambitions of our residents in less affluent areas to improve their lives and communities. We believe that physical, social and economic regeneration will support this.


Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction (also called Council Tax Support)

Housing Benefit is a national welfare benefit whereas Council Tax Reduction is a local scheme. Both of these are administered by your local authority to help people on low incomes to pay their rent and Council Tax.

  • The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Benefits Service staff are available to assist with all new and existing claims Monday to Friday, from 8.30am to 5pm.

Calculating your entitlement

The amount of entitlement depends on your income and capital and the amount of rent and Council Tax set for the property you live in. There are also differences for people over 60, those who are self-employed or students. Please see the Housing Benefit pages for the benefit calculator and Local Housing Allowance entitlement calculator. To claim Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction, visit How to make a claim.

Changes to benefits

The Government is starting a major programme of welfare reform. If you claim benefits you could be affected so it is important to prepare for the changes. See changes to benefits for more information.

If you would like to discuss your case you can phone the Housing Benefit advice line: 020 7361 3006. Lines are open Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm. The Town Hall is open to offer advice Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm.

Housing Benefit for private tenants is capped

Housing Benefit for private tenants is usually paid under a scheme called Local Housing Allowance.

From 1 April 2014 the maximum Local Housing Allowance weekly rates in any area cannot be more than:

  • £258.06 for anyone needing a one bedroom property
  • £299.34 for anyone needing a two bedroom property
  • £350.95 for anyone needing a three bedroom property
  • £412.89 for anyone needing a four bedroom or larger property.

For single customers under 35, Local Housing Allowance is usually restricted to the shared accommodation rate, which is less the capped one bedroom rate. To find the current shared accommodation rate, or to see how much Local Housing Allowance you might be entitled to, visit our Local Housing Allowance page.

Extra help to pay your housing costs

Discretionary Housing Payment is a limited fund that the Council can use to help residents whose Housing Benefit has been restricted. Find out more on our Discretionary Housing Payment page.  

Advice about grants, benefits and exemptions

The internet is a good source of advice. Libraries offer internet access and the sites listed below will have the answers to most questions. The Valuation Office Agency’s website shows Local Housing Allowance values for the whole country allowing you to see areas where the LHA values are less than the caps. 

If you have access to the internet then you will find more details by going to these websites:

Private landlord information

Landlords can find information here on what happens when a tenant is claiming benefit and the responsibilities they may have. There is also information on the Local Housing Allowance for private landlords (see Housing Benefit for more details).

Advice on other services

If you are looking for advice for businesses, families, housing or parking, as well as other services the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea provides, please use the links on the left of this page or return to the homepage.

Page last updated: 01/04/2014