Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction for borough residents

Housing Benefit is a national welfare benefit where as Council Tax Reduction is a local scheme. Both of these are administered by your local authority to help people on low incomes to pay their rent and Council Tax.

Please note we can only provide advice or process applications for residents of Kensington and Chelsea.

If you do not live in the borough please visit www.gov.uk for local information or seek information from your local authority.

How to make a claim

Have you saved a form? Click here to complete a previously saved form.

If this is not convenient, you can either:

  • email us at: benefits@rbkc.gov.uk to request a form - make sure you include your name and address
  • phone and ask for a form: 020 7361 3006 - if you would like advice on completing the form call us and we can phone you back so you don't have to worry about your phone bill
  • visit us and see someone from the New Claims Team or just call at the Town Hall, Hornton Street, W8 7NX (opening times 8.30 to 5pm Monday to Friday)
  • request a visit (if you have a special need, for example, if you are elderly or disabled you can request a home visit)

Self Service

  • Register at MyRBKC to view your benefits claim and council tax account details online by clicking on the right hand side (please note you will need either your claim or your account number to access this service)

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is a means-tested welfare benefit intended to help claimants with their rent. The main legislation that governs it is the Social Security and Benefits Act 1992 and from that there are two regulations that help its operation, the Housing Benefit Regulations 2006 for working age claimants and the Housing Benefit (Persons who have attained the qualifying age for state pension credit) Regulations 2006 for those of pension age.

Council tenants receive Housing Benefit as a rebate, reducing the amount of rent the tenant has to pay. Private tenants receive their benefit directly as they are expected to manage their own finances. In some cases this isn't possible and an arrangement is set up so that the private landlord receives the benefit instead - see the 'Private landlord information' page (left) for more details.

Housing Benefit is only available to those who are liable for paying the rent of the accommodation and have a permanent residency in the UK. If someone is unable to manage their own affairs, another person can submit a Housing Benefit claim on their behalf.

Council Tax Reduction Scheme

  • the Council Tax Reduction Scheme is assessed in a similar way to Housing Benefit and helps claimants with the payment of Council Tax.
    The benefit is paid as a rebate on the Council Tax account and the claimant never receives the money directly.

  • in 2013, Council Tax Benefit was replaced by a local Council Tax Reduction scheme. See Changes to Council Tax Benefit to find out more.