Tenant and Resident Associations

What is a tenant and resident association?TRA

A tenant and resident association is a group of people from the same area who get together to look after their local interests. These associations might organise community events for local people, take part in Council consultations or lobby their landlord for building refurbishments. Tenant and resident associations play an important role in strengthening communities and ensuring residents' voices are heard. For more detailed information on the Community Engagement team's work with tenant and resident associations, download our briefing sheet for councillors [PDF] (413KB). 

How can I get involved?

There are hundreds of active tenant and resident associations in the borough and it's likely there'll be one you can join in your local area. Our Tenant and Residents Associations listing is a record of existing associations and is fully searchable by postcode, street, ward and association name. You can also read more information about the listing, including how to list or update your association's details.

If there isn't an association in your area, we can work with you to set up your own. We can arrange training, provide model constitutions and other documents and facilitate support from more established associations. To get started, have a look at our online resources.

How can my association become recognised?

Your TRA can be registered with the Council, recognised by a private landlord or managing company or by a housing association, housing provider or registered social landlord. For more details, take a look at our registration and recognition page.

What if I need more support?TRA2

If you're struggling with conflict or unrest in your association, try reading through our short guide on dealing with conflict in tenant and resident associations and garden committees [PDF] (810KB). It's full of top tips for diffusing tension and resolving sticky situations.

If you'd like us to send you a model constitution, agenda or other documents, or if you'd like some more besoke support, get in touch with the team using the contact details to the left.

The Gold Standard Award

The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chlesea is proud to offer the Gold Standard Award to recognise excellent tenant and resident associations in the borough. To find out more about the criteria and benefits, or to apply for the award online, please visit our Gold Standard Award page.

Where can I find out more about community and local life in my area?

City Living, Local Life is a programme that provides lots of support to make it easier for local people to take part in shaping their local life, including small grants to community projects. You can visit your local area page to stay updated on what's happening near you, access local resources and sign up for relevant community updates by email or by Twitter