Council Tax - frequently asked questions

We hope you find the following information helpful. If there is a question you would like to ask which isn't listed, please use the contact details at the foot of this page.

I have recently moved into the Royal Borough. How do I register for Council Tax?

You can register through our website by completing the online form.

or downloading the change in circumstances form and sending this to us at the address shown below.

Alternatively you can phone us to register on 020 7361 3005 or email us at Please provide the following information:

  • Full address of property
  • Date of purchase / date of tenancy
  • Full names of all adult tenants / owners including yours
  • Forwarding address of vendor / name and address of landlord / agents

If I register for Council Tax, am I automatically added to the Electoral Register?

No. The Council Tax register is separate from the Electoral Register. If you wish to register to vote, you will need to complete a separate form. Please see the information at Registering to vote.

If I register for Council Tax, am I automatically eligible for a resident’s parking permit?

No. You will need to apply separately for a resident’s parking permit. Please see the information on the Resident's Parking page.

I am a full-time student. How do I apply for a student exemption?

To apply for a Council Tax student discount / exemption you will need to send us a student certificate which is obtainable from your college and which gives details of your course. To qualify for a discount or exemption the certificate must give the following information:

The name of your course and the start and end dates. You must be on a full-time course of education with the course lasting at least 24 weeks and you must be undertaking periods of study, tuition or work experience which together amount to an average of at least 21 hours a week.

When you have obtained the student certificate please send with a covering letter or email to the addresses shown below. To receive a full Council Tax exemption a student certificate must be supplied for each member of the household. Please let us know how many adults over the age of 18 are residing at the property.

If you are a student under 20 years of age you may still qualify for a student discount provided the course is one which lasts more than 3 months and at least 12 hours per week for any qualification up to A level, ONC or OND standard.

You can apply for a student discount/exemption by completing the online form here: Student Discount/Exemption Form

How can I pay my Council Tax online?

Go to our online payment page: Pay for it

We accept British debit cards at present. We hope shortly to be able to accept Visa and Mastercard credit cards but we will be making a charge for these.

The easiest and most convenient way to pay your Council Tax is by Direct Debit. You can set up a Direct Debit by downloading the form, or you can set up a Direct Debit over the phone at 020 7368 8906.

What are your bank details so that I can make a payment through my bank?

Our bank details to make payment are as follows:

Sort Code = 57-20-24

Account number = 00000000

Account name = HO Collection a/c

Please quote your Council Tax reference number when making payment.

What are the details I require to make an international transfer of funds to pay my Council Tax?

The details to make an international transfer of funds are as follows:

International Bank Account number (IBAN) = GB06 NWBK 50301025062697

Bank Identification Code (BIC) = NWBKGB2L

Bank account Number = 25062697

Sort Code = 50-30-10

Bank address = Nat West plc, Royal Garden Branch, 55 Kensington High Street, London, W8 5ZG

Please quote your Council Tax reference number when making payment.

I’m receiving Council Tax Reduction (also called Council Tax Support), so why do I still get bills and adjustment notices sent to me?

When there is a change to your Benefit claim, there is a legal requirement to issue you with a bill within a certain period of time. These instances are kept to a minimum, but where your circumstances constantly change (for example if you are self employed), you will find that you are issued a new bill each time.

I’m paying by direct debit, so why have I been sent a bill?

You will still receive a bill (showing the instalment details) even though an automated direct debit payment arrangement has been agreed. This is because there is a legal requirement to inform you of the amounts and dates that money will be taken from your bank/building society account. In these cases, a note will be placed on the bill stating that it is “for information only”. Payment details should be checked and the bill retained for your records.

Direct Debit payers can opt to receive a bill by email rather than through the post. To apply for this please visit eBilling:

Can I check my Council Tax account balance and payments I have made to date online?

Yes, by registering with our MyRBKC service.

Why doesn’t the Council send me a reminder every month?

There is no legal requirement to issue a separate reminder for each month’s payment. To do so would be expensive and this cost would be passed on to the Council Tax payers, increasing the amount to be paid. Where a reminder is sent, information is provided detailing which payments are outstanding and what will happen should the instalments not be brought up to date.

You can avoid receiving reminders altogether by signing up to Direct Debit.

Why am I paying a garden charge? How do I get access or a key to the garden enclosure or square? What if I do not want to use the garden?

Generally, if your property (or apartment block) is situated next to, or in a line with, one of the enclosed garden squares, you will be asked to pay an additional amount on your Council Tax bill (even if you do not wish to use the garden). This extra money is used for the upkeep and maintenance of the garden square. The amount payable is decided by the respective garden square committee and not the Council. Access keys for the garden squares can usually be obtained by writing to the relevant garden committee. For further information and details of whom to contact, please the garden square information page.

What are the contact details for the Council Tax office?

By phone: 020 7361 3005


faxes: 020 7368 0303

Written enquiries: Council Tax Services, PO Box 10413, The Town Hall, Hornton Street, W8 7WT

Personal callers to Customer Service Centre, Town Hall, Hornton Street, W8 7NX.

Opening times: Monday to Friday 8.30am – 5.00pm