Documents needed to prove that you own or use the vehicle

You must prove that you are the keeper or main user of the vehicle.

Your own vehicle

If you are the registered keeper of the vehicle, you must produce the Vehicle Registration Certificate (DVLA form V5C), showing your name and the address in Kensington and Chelsea.

If you have just bought the vehicle we will accept your insurance documents and either your New Keepers Supplement (V5C/2) or a sales invoice (from a garage or dealers) and issue you with a three month permit.

If the name or address on the V5C certificate needs to be amended, we can send the document to the DVLA for you and issue a three month permit.

Hire and lease vehicles

If you are hiring the vehicle, you must produce the contract hire agreement showing your name and the name of the lease-hire company.

Company/employer owned vehicles

If you have a vehicle which is owned by your employer, you will need to provide a letter dated within the past three months naming you as an employee who has exclusive use of the vehicle. The letter should be signed by the company secretary or someone with similar authority; it should not be signed by you.

In addition, you must provide either the V5C Vehicle Registration Certificate or the lease/hire agreement.

If the company has just purchased the vehicle you may provide the Sales Invoice and the Insurance cover note and we will issue a three month permit.

Vehicles that are registered abroad

The law requires all UK residents to tax and register their vehicles in the UK before they are driven or parked on the public highway. Visitors to the UK may keep their foreign registered vehicles here for up to six months. As we do not issue permits to visitors, only to residents, we will not issue permits for foreign registered vehicles until they have been registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

Foreign students are allowed to keep their vehicles in the UK whilst studying without re-registering them, so we will issue permits to foreign students for the period of their studies but they must provide a document from their college confirming their registration and course start and end dates every time they renew their permit.

Registration takes approximately two to three weeks and you can get details by calling the DVLA office on 0870 850 0007.

Residents with foreign registered vehicles may park in the Town Hall Car Park at a reduced rate, subject to a minimum stay of one week. See the Town Hall car park page for more details.

New residents

If you have just moved into the borough and have not yet changed your documentation we will send your vehicle registration document (VC5) to the DVLA for change of address for you. We will issue a 3 month permit if you have registered for council tax and can provide a solicitor’s letter of completion (dated within the last 3 months) or a tenancy agreement (valid for at least 3 months) as proof of residency.

If you do not have your VC5 because you have already sent it to the DVLA but you can provide alternative proof of vehicle ownership, we will issue a one month permit to tide you over until it is returned. See the New residents page for further information.