Highway excavation licences

You can apply for a licence to lift the footway and make a temporary excavation.

We generally grant licences after a satisfactory site inspection, for reasonable purposes like externally tanking, water-proofing or damp-proofing cellars, or connecting water-service pipes to stopcocks under the highway.

You must follow your licence's conditions, including any concerning pedestrian safety.

Licence conditions

  • We won't issue your licence until we receive your deposit, this will be an estimated cost of the permanent reinstatement of your excavation.
  • When you have finished the excavation work, you should temporarily re-lay the footway for pedestrian safety - you should also write to our customer services section to confirm your work is finished.
  • As the licence holder, you are responsible for keeping the footway in a safe condition, until we permanently replace the footway.
  • You must follow all your licence's conditions, including any concerning pedestrian safety (we have the right to permanently refill any excavations in the highway) as the licence holder, you should temporarily refill and maintain any excavations you have made until we carry out the permanent repairs.

Apply for a licence to lift the footway, or to make a temporary excavation in the carriageway or footway

Or you can:

  • visit the Customer Service Centre at the Kensington Town Hall or
  • phone us on 020 7361 4385 to request a form (we do not accept faxed or photocopied applications)

Cost of a permit for excavating the highway

  • Your deposit will be debited for the final 'reinstatement' cost (in other words, whatever is necessary to reinstate the footway), this will be the cost of the work plus a 20 per cent administration charge. From 1 April 2014, if the cost of the work is less than £250, a fixed rate administration charge of £47 will be added to the cost of the work.
  • We will issue your licence when we receive your deposit.

We will charge you for any underpayment or refund you with any overpayment after we have finished the permanent reinstatement.