Highway permits for skips

You can leave a skip on the highway (public road) after we have authorised and issued a licence.

If you want a parking bay suspended for a skip you must give us the same notice as you would a normal suspension.

The skip must normally be left directly outside the property from where the rubbish and rubble will be removed and must be no longer than five metres and no wider than two metres.

You must put warning lights on the skip from 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise (sunset and sunrise times are given in national newspapers). If you do not light the skip, or get a permit, you may be fined up to £1000. There are more permit conditions on the back of the skip permit.

Roll-on, roll-off storage containers are not allowed within the Royal Borough, as they do not meet the Builders Skip (Markings) Regulations 1984, and they are bigger than the maximum measurements of a skip.

Apply for a skip permit 

Email us your name and postal address and we will send a form out to you, or:

You can also visit the Customer Service Centre at the Kensington Town Hall or phone 020 7361 4385 to request a form.

We do not accept emailed, faxed or photocopied applications in this case. Please allow plenty of time if you are posting your application to us.

  • you must give us at least ten full working days' notice if you want to suspend a resident parking bay, and at least two full working days' notice to suspend a pay-and-display bay. See the suspensions page for more information. 
  • we will check where your skip will be positioned before we give you our approval. If the skip will be positioned in a bus stop, you must get permission from London Transport before you apply to us for a permit or to renew a permit.
  • If we approve your application, we will then send your permit to the address given on your application form.

If you finish with the parking space early, you must tell us by fax or by writing to Parking Operations. If you are due for a refund, we will send it to you.

Red routes

The red route comprises mainly major routes into and around London and forms part of the Transport for London Road Network, (TLRN).

To put a skip on a red route only, you have to apply for a Highway licence provided by Transport for London (TfL). 

Email: centrallicensing@tfl.gov.uk
Telephone: 020 7536 3626/3621/3611
                 Fax: 020 7536 3650

To put a skip on the highway (public road) see Apply for a skip.

Apply to extend a skip permit

Fill in a new application form and send it to Parking Operations. Or, you can bring it to the Customer Service Centre at the Kensington Town Hall before your skip permit runs out, and certainly no later than 24 hours before it runs out, as long as this is a working day (Monday to Friday, not a bank or public holiday). With your application, you also need to send us your application fee and any suspension fees that you owe.

We issue this licence, and renewals, for any period (up to a maximum of three months) per application.