Financial advice

General benefits

For information on entitlements like housing benefit, council tax and child benefit, please visit the benefits and entitlements pages.

Help with work

If you are looking to start a family and are working, you might be entitled to benefits from the government. The types of statutory award vary depending on your circumstance. Ask your employer about their Human Resources policy on maternity/paternity or adoption. You may be entitled to additional support. If you are a single parent and are looking to get back into work, you might be eligible for support from your local Job Centre.

Help with childcare

Help with childcare costs There are several schemes available for families to help reduce the cost of childcare. Some of these schemes are universal and are available to everyone, some are only for people that work for 16 hours per week, and others are age specific and designed to get people back into work or education. There is also support available from the health sector, training providers and from the voluntary sector through certain charities. Please contact the Family Information Service for further details. 

Help with education

The items in this section might be able to offer you financial support, depending on the type of education you are undertaking.  


StepChange is a registered charity that offers free, confidential debt advice and support to anyone who is worried about debt.

Their online debt counselling tool, StepChange Debt Remedy, can provide you with advice tailored to your individual circumstances. All advice and recommendations are backed by over 15 years of experience and knowledge gained by StepChange counsellors. You don’t have to give your name and the service is totally free.

If you have any debt related issues, or are seeking financial advice, you can contact StepChange on their helpline 0800 138 1111 Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, or visit the StepChange website.