Information on private renting

There is great demand for rented property in the Royal Borough, and rents can be very high. These pages offer advice on looking for rented accommodation, and suggestions on where to look, as well as ways the Council can help tenants in the private rented sector. 

The Department for Communities and Local Government has produced a helpful guide, How to rent: the checklist for renting in England.

If you would like information on how to save energy and reduce your bills, there are some helpful hints on our Greener Housing pages.

Debt advice

If you would like advice or information regarding debt, we recommend some organisations for you to contact: Debt advice

Deposit protection scheme

All deposits (for rent up to £25,000 per annum) taken by landlords and agents for assured shorthold tenancies in England and Wales have had to be protected by an authorised tenancy deposit scheme: Deposit protection scheme

Energy performance certificate

All new tenancies require an Energy Performance Certificate. This should be provided by your landlord: Energy performance certificate

Finding rented accommodation

Tips to help you avoid disappointment while looking for rented accommodation in the Royal Borough, and advice on how to stay safe:  Finding rented accommodation

Housing advice services

Kensington and Chelsea has many voluntary organisations and charities, which can provide you with independent housing advice, in addition to that provided by the Council: Housing advice services

Private rented access scheme

This scheme provides financial help to help homeless households move into accommodation in the private rented sector: Private rented access scheme

Tenancy relations service

The Tenancy Relations Service is provided by the Council for the benefit of private sector landlords, tenants and leaseholders. It aims to promote good relations between landlords and tenants and to encourage good practice in the rental sector: Tenancy relations service