Living in healthy homes

Here you will find information on environmental and health and safety matters for homeowners, landlords and tenants.

Affordable warmth

Advice on fuel poverty, how to save energy, and what help is available to keep you warm.


Advice on Government housing standards, housing rating systems and how to tackle poor housing conditions. 

Empty homes

There are various schemes and grants available to owners of empty properties to encourage them to return these to use.

Fire safety advice

The Royal Borough has some of the largest Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) in the country; tackling fire safety protects residents from unsafe conditions.

Carbon monoxide

Advice on what to do if you think you may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning and how to spot the signs and symptoms.


Does your property need to be adapted for a disabled person? Has your boiler fallen into disrepair? Would you like central heating installed in place of a less efficient system? If the answer is yes, the Council may be able to help.

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

See if your property meets the criteria for an HMO, find out about the licensing requirements, and read our safety advice.

Pest control

The Environmental Health Department can help you manage your pest control issues. Find out about or Domestic Pest Control Service, and read advice on gulls, foxes, and pests in refuse storage areas.

Greener housing

Find out what can be done at a local level to help combat the effects of global climate change and work towards a sustainable future.