Address: Walmer Road W11
An interesting park combining formal gardens, children’s play areas, a small wildlife area and a modern multi-usage games area for 5-a-side football, netball and tennis.
Staffed park. Open from 7.30am until dusk. Public toilet facilities.
The park is now home to world's first floral lawn
With an aim to improve biodiversity in the park, a grass-free lawn has been created at Avondale Park. Made entirely of flowers, both native and non-native species, and a range of cultivars have been used to create an amazing patchwork of colour, nectar, pollen and scent. Read more...
Watch our video on the laying of the world's first public floral lawn.
Avondale Park is equipped with a Multi-Use-Games-Area (MUGA) with provision for football, netball and tennis.
To book or for more information call 020 7602 2226 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Avondale Park, at the top of Pottery Lane, was created in 1892 when the area that had been a huge fetid pool known as "the ocean" was finally built on. This former area of slurry was part of the notorious Piggeries as well as the location of tile kilns and brickfields.
The site was purchased from the Adams family in 1889, and after the excavations, seven feet in depth, had been filled in, the park was formally opened on 2 June 1892. It was called Avondale Park in memory of the recently deceased Duke of Clarence and Avondale.