Address: King’s Road SW3
A gravelled avenue adjacent to the busy King’s Road Chelsea.
Part of the Royal Hospital Chelsea, this was
part of a bold project intended to connect the Royal Hospital with
William III's Kensington Palace in a scheme by Sir Christopher Wren
approved in 1681. Unfortunately the project stopped short at King's
Road, and the flanking terraces are not uniform. The Avenue
originally had gravel with grass verges, horse chestnut trees and
hedging with wooden fencing bordering each side. Walls and gates
enclosed each end with ladder stiles, painted white in 1748 and the
Avenue previously called Chestnut Walk became known as White
The eastern terrace was built in the 1840s at which time the horse
chestnuts were probably replaced by lime and plane trees, the grass
verges gravelled and the gates and fences replaced by railings. It
was known as Royal Avenue from 1875. In 1970 the road access to
King's Road was closed.