Other Possible Approvals

Planning permission is only ever one aspect of any development project. There are often a number of separate permissions one must obtain before being able to develop a site. Even if planning permission is granted for your scheme, consent for other approvals may be refused or withheld.

We have provided basic information on some other possible approvals you may need to obtain before starting your development. This list is not exhaustive and should only be used as a guide. You are encouraged to contact the relevant authority, owner, company or organisation to ensure you meet all requirements.

Building Regulations

Building Regulations set standards for the design and construction of buildings to ensure the safety and health for people in or about those buildings. They also include requirements to ensure that fuel and power is conserved and facilities are provided for people, including those with disabilities, to access and move around inside buildings.

For many types of building work, separate permission under both planning and building regulation regimes (separate processes) will be required.

Please contact our Building Control team on 020 7361 3838 to find out if your proposal will require consent under Building Regulations.

Pavement Crossovers

Pavement crossovers may sometimes be constructed to allow vehicular access across the pavement into driveways. If you want to have a Pavement Crossover constructed at your premises you will need to apply for permission.

Environmental Health

For proposals involving the preparation and sale of food to the public, construction or demolition works which may cause noise or other disturbance, or applications providing new or modifying existing refuse storage facilities, you should refer to the Council’s Code of Good Practice for guidance. For further information please contact Environmental Health on 020 7361 3002.

Highways Licence

If you wish to place tables and chairs on the pavement, irrespective of whether you require planning permission, you will require a highways licence which needs to be renewed each year. Please contact StreetLine on 020 7361 3001 for further advice.

In addition, if you intend to place a skip on the pavement or you need to suspend some parking bays in order for your builders to access you site, you need to inform the Council. Please click on the links below for further information.

Party Wall Act 1996

Some kinds of work carried out to a property may be work which is covered by the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. This is a separate piece of legislation with different requirements to the Building Regulations.

Covenants and Private Acts

Covenants or other restrictions in the title to your property or conditions in the lease may require you to get someone else's agreement before carrying out some kinds of work to your property. This may be the case even if you do not need to apply for planning permission.

You can check this yourself or consult a lawyer. You may also find that some properties enjoy historic rights. The council has no involvement in checking or enforcing your private rights such as a "right to light".

Rights of Way

If your proposed development would obstruct a public path which crosses your property, you should discuss the proposals with the council at an early stage.

The granting of planning permission will not give you the right to interfere with, obstruct or move the path. A path cannot be legally diverted or closed unless the council has made an order to divert or close it to allow the development to go ahead. The order must be advertised and anyone may object. You must not obstruct the path until any objections have been considered and the order has been confirmed.

You should bear in mind that confirmation is not automatic; for example, an alternative line for the path may be proposed. Planning permission for a new gate would not itself grant you any right of way on land outside your own.

Licensed sites and Premises

Premises selling alcohol, and some other public entertainment venues are subject to special licensing arrangements, in addition to other permissions they may require. Please consult the Council's licensing department for further information.