About 18 Stafford Terrace
The Sambourne Family Home
From 1875, 18 Stafford Terrace was the home of Punch
cartoonist Edward Linley Sambourne, his wife Marion, their two
children and their live-in servants.
The house gives an insight into the personal lives of the
Sambourne family, and also provides a rare example of
what was known as an 'Aesthetic interior' or 'House Beautiful'
style. The Aesthetic Movement of the late nineteenth century
advocated the use of foreign or 'exotic' influences in the
decoration of the home'. This can be seen by the various
Japanese, Middle-Eastern and Chinese objects throughout the
After the deaths of Linley and Marion Sambourne, the house was
preserved by their descendants. In 1980 it was opened to the public
by the Victorian Society. This organisation had been inaugurated at
18 Stafford Terrace in 1958 by the Sambourne's grand-daughter,
Anne, 6th Countess of Rosse. In 1989, its ownership passed to the
Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.