Return to the gallery
To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
The unveiling of the blue plaque on Oscar Wilde's house at 34 Tite Street took place on 16 October 1954. Sir Compton-MacKenzie presided at the ceremony with the assistance of Wilde's biographer Hartford Montgomery Hyde. Also present were fellow residents Augustus John and Michael Redgrave. In 1895 his house was seized by the courts during his famous trial. By an ironic twist of fate the judge at the trial was a Tite Street neighbour.
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC Libraries)
Location of original: JB84
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.