To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
Lady King, wife of the Mayor, performing the opening ceremony in Kenley Street, 1904.
Lady King is seen here performing the opening ceremony of the Kenley Street houses with the Mayor Councillor J P Williams (on her left). Previously known as William Street this was one of the worst streets in the Notting Dale area. Her husband Sir Henry Seymour King, first Mayor of Kensington, made a private large interest free loan so that the slum properties could be bought. The results of refurbishing and rebuilding can be clearly seen
Location of original: LSvf Kenley Street
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries(RBKC Libraries)
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.