You can use this simple Benefits calculator to work out how much you could claim. (This external website is free and no personal information is required, so anonymity is assured).
In order to complete the calculation, you will need additional information about your savings, income, pensions, and existing benefits (for you and your partner).
You can stop at any time and come back to the calculation later. If you are returning to a calculation you started earlier, please go to the saved calculation.
How to make a claim
From 12 December 2018, you can no longer claim Housing Benefit, unless:
- you live in temporary accommodation
- you live in supported accommodation
- you or your partner are pension age, or
- you have more than two dependant children
If you are not in one of these groups, then you must claim Universal Credit to get help for your housing costs.
You can still claim Housing Benefit if you are in one of the above groups.
You can also claim Council Tax Reduction, whether or not you are on Universal Credit.
The quickest way to claim Council Tax Reduction or Housing Benefit is by completing the online application form. You can also retrieve a previously saved form.
If this you are unable to complete the online form, you can:
- email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a paper copy but make sure you include your name and address
- phone us on 020 7361 3006 and ask for a paper copy. If you would like advice on completing the form call us and we can phone you back so you don't have to worry about your phone bill
- visit us and see someone from the New Claims Team. You can make an appointment or visit the Town Hall, Hornton Street, W8 7NX (opening times 8.30 to 5pm Monday to Friday)
- request a visit. If you have a special need. For example, if you are elderly or disabled you can request a home visit.