Calculate your entitlement

You can use this simple benefits calculator to work out how much you could claim. This is a free external website which requires no personal information, assuring anonymity.

To complete the calculation, you will need information about:

  • your and your partner's savings
  • your and your partner's income
  • your and your partner's pensions
  • any existing benefits that you and your partner receive

You can stop at any time and come back to the calculation later. If you are returning to a calculation you started earlier, please go to the saved calculation.

How to make a claim

You cannot claim Housing Benefit, unless:

  • you live in temporary accommodation
  • you live in supported accommodation
  • you or your partner are pension age, or
  • you have more than two dependant children

If you are not in one of these groups, then you must claim Universal Credit to get help for your housing costs.

Council Tax Reduction

You can also claim Council Tax Reduction if you are on Universal Credit or Housing Benefit.

The quickest way to claim Council Tax Reduction is by completing the Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit application form online.

You can also retrieve a previously saved form.

If you are unable to complete the online form, you can:

  • email us at: to request a paper copy, but make sure you include your name and address
  • phone us on 020 7361 3006 and ask for a paper copy. If you would like advice, call us. We can phone you back so you don't have to worry about your phone bill
  • visit us and see someone from the New Claims Team. You can make an appointment or visit the Town Hall, Hornton Street, W8 7NX (opening times 8.30 to 5pm Monday to Friday)
  • request a visit. If you have a special need, for example, or if you are elderly or disabled, you can request a home visit