How to make a claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax reduction
Please note: All of the borough is now covered by Universal Credit. This means you can no longer make a claim for Housing Benefit unless you:
- are of pensionable age, or
- you live in supported accommodation, or
- you live in temporary accommodation (you have been housed by the Council in temporary accommodation because you were homeless), or
- you are entitled to Severe Disability Premium
Do not delay in claiming Universal Credit. It is usually not possible to have your Universal Credit claim backdated.
People who live in supported accommodation or temporary accommodation must claim Universal Credit for their living costs, but must also claim Housing Benefit for help with rent.
The quickest way to claim for benefits is by completing the online Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit application form.
If you are unable to complete the form online, you can:
- email us at: email@example.com to request a paper copy, but make sure you include your name and address
- phone and ask for a paper copy on 020 7361 3006. If you would like advice on completing the form call us and we can phone you back so you don't have to worry about your phone bill
- visit us and see someone from the New Claims Team - you can make an appointment or just call at the Town Hall, Hornton Street, W8 7NX (opening times 8.30 to 5pm Monday to Friday)
- request a visit (if you have a special need, for example, if you are elderly or disabled you can request a home visit)