Other benefits and grants

Financial advice and help from the Royal Borough

  • Council Tax Reduction for residents on a low income, who need help with Council Tax payments
  • Council Tax Discounts for residents who are full time students, adults with severe mental impairment, people in care or in hospital, care workers and carers, and convicted prisoners or those on remand
  • Housing Benefit for people with low incomes who need help with rent payments.
  • Leisure Pass discounts are available for residents aged 60 and over, studying full time, registered disabled or receiving Income Support, Pension Credit or Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • the Purple Badge Scheme is available for disabled residents who wish to park in the borough

Benefits available from DWP, HMRC, NHS

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is for people over 65 who need help with personal care due to an illness or disability. Income and savings do not affect this benefit. More details are available from the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) website or the Government website (www.gov.uk)

Bereavement Benefits

Bereavement Benefits are various types of financial support offered to those who have lost a husband, wife or civil partner and include the Bereavement Allowance, the Bereavement Payment and the Widowed Parent’s Allowance. More details on the Government website (www.gov.uk)

Carer’s Allowance

Carer's Allowance is for people of low income who spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone receiving a qualifying benefit (such as DLA). More details on the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) website or the Government website (www.gov.uk)

Child Benefit

Child Benefit is paid to parents for children up to age 16. There are extensions available for those under 20 in relevant full-time education or training, or those working for an approved body. More details on the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) website or the Government website (www.gov.uk)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance is for children with disabilities who need help with getting around or personal care. Income and savings do not affect this benefit. More details on the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) website or the Government website (www.gov.uk)

Employment and Support Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance is for people who are unable to work owing to illness or disability, or who do not receive Statutory Sick Pay. This can depend on National Insurance contributions (there are exceptions for some people under 25) or the level of income received. More details on the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) website.

Help with health costs

Help with health costs are available to those entitled to free or discounted dental or eye care, free prescriptions, free travel costs and free wigs and fabric supports. For more information, visit the NHS website.

Income Support

Income Support is for people with no or low incomes. To qualify you must be between 16 and Pension Credit qualifying age and meet other specific conditions. Pension Credit qualifying age is currently about 62 years old, and is gradually increasing in line with the Government’s State Pension age policy. People over Pension Credit qualifying age can claim Pension Credit (see below). More details on the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) website.

Independent Living Fund

The Independent Living Fund (ILF) provides financial support for severely disabled people to enable them to live independently in their own homes. The Fund is currently closed to new applications. New arrangements for the funding of care and support needs will come into place from July 2015.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit is for people who are disabled as a result of a disease or deafness caused by work. More details can be found on the Government website (www.gov.uk)

Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)

Jobseeker’s Allowance has two forms of benefit for people of working age. Contribution-based JSA is payable to working age people in the first six months of unemployment and is dependent on a person’s National Insurance contributions. Income-based JSA does not depend on National Insurance contributions but on a person’s income and savings. Someone receiving this JSA can also get help with mortgage payments. More details on the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) website.

Jobseeker's Allowance will be incorporated into Universal Credit.

Maternity Allowance

Maternity Allowance is for people who cannot get Statutory Maternity Pay (paid by employers), for instance for the self-employed or those who have recently changed jobs. More details on the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) website.

Pension Credit

Pension Credit is designed to guarantee every person of pension age an income of at least £151.20 (£230.85 for a couple). More details on the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) website or the Government website (www.gov.uk)

Personal Independence Payment

In 2013, the Government began to replace Disability Living Allowance for adults of working age with a new benefit called Personal Independence Payment. More information can be found the Government website (www.gov.uk)

Social Fund

On 1 April 2013, reforms to the Department of Work and Pensions’ (DWP’s) Social Fund came into effect. The Social Fund is designed to help with living costs that are not covered by your regular benefit payments. Find out more

Tax Credit

Tax Credit is for people with children (Child Tax Credit) or who are on low income (Working Tax Credit), and are means-tested. Child Tax Credit can rise with the number of children. More details on the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) website or the Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs website.

Vehicle Tax exemption

Vehicle Tax exemption is available to those who receive a higher rate for the mobility part of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA). See the Government website (www.gov.uk)

Other grants, discounts and exemptions

Campden Charities

Campden Charities is a local charity that exists solely to give away money to local people. Applicants must have lived in Kensington (North of Fulham Road only) for two years.

Congestion Charge exemption

Congestion Charge exemption is available for Blue Badge holders living in London. Up to two vehicles can be registered per holder. More details on the Transport for London website.

Freedom Pass

Freedom Pass allows those over 60 or with an eligible disability to travel in London for free. More information on the People First website.

Free TV Licence

TV Licence for over 75s is free and there are discounts for those in residential care, or who are blind or severely sight impaired.

Green Deal

You can make energy-saving improvements to your home without having to pay all the costs up front through the Green Deal. Energy-saving improvements include: insulation, draught proofing and double glazing. These could reduce your energy bills. The Council's Greener Housing pages also provide energy saving advice.

Home improvement grants

Staying First provides help and advice with grants for home owners and private sector tenants.


Warmzone is a not-for-profit organisation that provides advice on energy saving for homeowners and tenants as well as discounts and grants for insulation and heating installations for your home.

Our help and advice page lists a number of organisations and local centres that offer independent advice on benefits and debt.