One of the Council's top priorities is for the Borough to be healthy, clean and safe. The waste and street cleansing contract has a very important role in helping to achieve this.
Our current waste and street cleansing contract with Suez expires in 2021 and we’re in the process of procuring a new one. Following large-scale consultations, which helped shape our Council plan, we've listened and are committed to keeping the high-level specification of the current contract, including:
- twice weekly rubbish and recycling collections
- carrying out basement collections to help keep our street clear
- the removal of offensive graffiti from public spaces and of large rubbish dumping within 24 hours of being notified
- regularly emptying our 500 litter bins
- keeping our too big for the bin collection service
- the delivery of intensive clean ups after major events, such as Notting Hill Carnival
- keeping our borough-wide separate garden waste collection service
- keeping our 4 separate food waste collection rounds.
In addition, our new waste contract will include:
- paying the London Living wage as a minimum to all staff
- all vehicles to be zero emissions capable, subject to appropriate technology being available
- change clause to allow for the boroughwide roll out of a food waste collection, subject to a viable and environmentally beneficial model being identified
Survey and drop in dates
We really want to know your thoughts and comments on waste and recycling in Kensington and Chelsea. This will help us improve services, deliver our waste reduction and recycling plans and understand even further your priorities for our new waste contract. It should only take about ten minutes.
We are also running drop in sessions where you can learn and discuss the new contract:
- The Great Hall, Kensington Town Hall, Hornton St, Kensington, London W8 7NX - Monday 23 September 4.30pm – 7.30pm
- Marlborough Primary School, Draycott Ave, Chelsea, London SW3 3AP - Thursday 26 September 3pm – 5pm
- Kensington Leisure Centre, Silchester Rd, Notting Hill, London W10 6EX - Wednesday 2 October 4.30pm – 7.30pm