Information on regulation, licensing, trading standards, public and environmental health, food safety and planning for business in the borough.


  • About regulation

    Information about regulations for the running of a business or enterprise with details on advice and guidance.

  • Licensing

    Information on licensing premises used for the sale of alcohol, entertainment, late night refreshment, gambling, special treatments, and various other activities.

  • Tables and chairs on the highway

    Advice on starting a catering businesses and how to apply for consent to place tables and chairs on the highway.

Trading standards

Food safety

  • What we do

    Information on the Food Safety Team who offer advice and take formal action to make sure that businesses comply with legal requirements.

  • Food safety inspections and enforcement

    Information on how the Council keeps a check on food safety in the borough

  • Food alerts

    Information about food alerts which are issued by the Food Standards Agency when food products should not be sold.

  • Food complaints

    Information on issues related to food complaints including how to make a complaint about the Food Safety team and typical food complaints.

  • Food Hygiene Rating

    Information about the food hygiene rating scheme which is run by the borough in partnership with the Food Standards Agency.

  • Food poisoning

    Information on food poisoning including symptoms, common causes and ways to prevent the spread of infection.

  • Food standards

    Information on food standards including advice for businesses and legislation.

  • Exported and Imported foods

    Guidance for food businesses on foods imported into the European Union and the regulations in place to control the import and sale of food.

  • Approved premises

    Information for certain food businesses who will require approval from the Council before they start trading and how to apply.

  • Private water supplies

    Information about requirements of private water supplies including the need to carry out water sampling and risk assessments.

  • Starting a food business

    Information on how to register a food business which is free and can be done online or by post and enables the Council to give advice to food business operators.

  • Allergens and labelling

    Guidance on allergens and labelling from The Food Information Regulations 2014. They apply to all businesses supplying food to the public.

  • Healthier Catering Commitment

    Healthy Catering Commitment, Healthy Catering Commitment Award scheme for food outlets which offer healthier food options

  • Frequently asked questions about food safety

    Information on food safety including details about food safety regulations and what is needed to open a food business.

  • Food Safety A to Z

    Check out the A - Z of food safety to ensure that the food you, store, prepare and sell is safe to eat.

Health and Safety

  • Health and safety inspections and enforcement

    Information on health and safety inspections and enforcement including what happens in inspections, powers of inspectors and how to appeal.

  • Public Health Training Service

    About our training services - training offered on Food Safety, Health and Safety, and Public Health

  • A to Z of Health and Safety

    Information on the Council's A to Z of Health and Safety. This includes a range of topics with links to other websites for further details.

  • Health and Safety at Work Act

    The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 provides the legal framework to promote, stimulate and encourage high standards of health and safety in places of work.