Market food sites
Food stalls are a huge attraction for visitors to Portobello Road market and Golborne Road, and much sought after by traders.
- If you want to run a food stall on Portobello Road market or Golborne Road you will need to join a waiting list to apply.
- We no longer accept catering vehicles or trailers of any description in either market.
- We don't issue food licences for any other street in the borough.
- It is illegal to trade or display goods for sale on any part of the public highway without a Street Trading Licence.
- We don't grant permission to trade or grant a licence on private property.
The waiting list for Portobello Road is: currently closed. There is extremely high demand and most of the food sites are run by permanent traders.
- most sites are licensed for six-day trading but may not trade on certain weekdays
- we don't accept applications from casual traders
- you need to apply to join the waiting list
When a food site becomes vacant:
- we'll offer it to any existing traders who want to transfer first
- if the site is still available, we'll offer to potential traders on the waiting list
The waiting list for Golborne Road is: open.
We currently have an extensive waiting list for sites on Golborne Road.
We don't accept applications from traders who want to sell goods that are already widely available from existing stalls or shops.
If you would like to sell something that is not already available contact firstname.lastname@example.org to apply to the waiting list.
How to apply
For both markets:
- email email@example.com
- or send a written application to The Street Trading Office, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, 72 Tavistock Road, London W11 1AN
You need to tell us:
- what you want to sell
- how you will sell it
You also need to send us copies of your food hygiene and safety qualifications including:
- Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering
- Level 2 Food Safety (studied online)
- evidence that you have undertaken an equivalent or a higher level of food safety training such as Level 3 Award in Food Safety in Catering, or Level 3 in Food Safety
We will not issue a street trading licence if you don't have these minimum qualifications or their equivalents.
Food safety training
The Council's Environmental Health Department is a registered food safety training centre. We run training courses at our offices in Pembroke Road.
Read about our courses.
We also offer online learning.