School term and holiday dates for the 2021 - 22 academic year
The following are the recommended school terms and holiday dates for nursery, primary and secondary schools. Please note that schools have the autonomy to determine their own term dates.
The School Admissions Team will continue to consult on and determine recommended dates, as outlined below, but schools are now able to vary these dates as they see fit. You are advised to contact your child’s school directly to confirm their term dates.
You can download the information about determined school term and holiday dates 2021 - 22 or view the information below by term.
- Autumn Term part 1: Wednesday 1 September - Friday 22 October (38 days)
- Half-term: Monday 25 October - Friday 29 October
- Autumn Term part 2: Monday 1 November - Friday 17 December (35 days)
- Christmas break: Monday 20 December - Monday 3 January
- Spring Term part 1: Tuesday 4 January - Friday 11 February (29 days)
- Half-term: Monday 14 February - Friday 18 February
- Spring Term part 2: Monday 21 February - Friday 1 April (30 days)
- Half-term: Monday 4 April - Monday 18 April (Easter weekend 15 - 18 April)
- Summer Term part 1: Tuesday 19 April - Friday 27 May (28 days - May Day Bank Holiday will be taken on 2 May)
- Half-term: Monday 30 May - Friday 3 June (Spring Bank Holiday will be taken on 30 May)
- Summer Term part 2: Monday 6 June - Friday 22 July (35 days)
- Summer break: Monday 25 July onwards
- Christmas Day: Saturday 25 December 2021 (Monday 27 substitute day)
- Boxing Day: Sunday 26 December 2021 (Tuesday 28 substitute day)
- New Year’s Day: Saturday 1 January 2022 (Monday 3 substitute day)
- Good Friday: Friday 15 April 2022
- Easter Monday: Monday 18 April 2022
- May Day Bank Holiday: Monday 2 May 2022
- Spring Bank Holiday: Monday 30 May 2022
- August Bank Holiday: Monday 29 August 2022
The above are the recommended school terms and holiday dates for nursery, primary and secondary schools. Please note that many schools now have the autonomy to determine their own term dates. You are advised to contact your child’s school directly to confirm their term dates.
The dates show schools being open for 195 days. From these, five staff training dates are to be determined by the school’s governing body. Some governing bodies may choose to hold staff training at ‘twilight sessions’ after the school day and to extend the school holiday for staff.
Schools which close for local elections are required to extend the summer term or coincide it with an 'inset' day.
Recommended common transition day for Year 6 pupils to visit the secondary school that they will be attending
- for pupils starting secondary school September 2021 – Wednesday 7 July 2021
- for pupils starting secondary school September 2022 – Wednesday 6 July 2022