Commercial Waste Services

Frequently asked questions

How often are the sacks delivered?Sacks are delivered to your premises every 13 weeks as per your contract agreement. Check your commercial waste blue and orange sacks delivery weeks.

What should I do if I run out of sacks before my next delivery is due?Contact the sales department on 020 7341 5106 or simply fill in the order form for extra sacks. Please note that the extra supplies of sacks is chargeable and that a delivery charge applies on top of the cost for the sacks.

Under no circumstances should you place black sacks out whilst waiting for a delivery of sacks.

If you frequently run out of sacks, you should consider increasing your contract so you receive increased numbers of sacks every 13 weeks.

What is included within the cost of the sack?The cost per sack covers collection, disposal fees, administration charge, Duty of Care documentation and the sacks themselves.

Can I still use black sacks?You can, as long as they are then placed inside an RBKC blue commercial waste sack. Anyone who leaves a black sack on the public highway could be prosecuted.

Can cardboard boxes, empty oil cans and broken glass be collected?Bins
Place boxes and empty oil cans in the appropriate containers. Please wrap broken glass before placing it in the bin.

Please flatten boxes and bundle them up then firmly attach (wrap around) the appropriate coloured sack, depending on which contract you have. This means the use of one whole blue or orange sack and not a half or part of a sack. The amount of boxes in the bundle should equal the same amount that would fit in the sack.

Empty oil cans should also be placed inside the appropriate sack.

Broken glass should be placed in a suitable box (clearly marked broken glass) and covered with an appropriate coloured sack.

What do I do with large items?If you have large bulky items to be removed, such as old computers or desks, please send a collection request to For more information see special collections.

When should I leave my refuse out?Refuse should be left directly outside the front of the premises in the appropriate sack(s) on the days and times stated on your contract. It is an offence to leave refuse out other than at these times. The penalty could be up to £2,500.

What happens should the volume of my refuse change?You are permitted to leave any number of blue or orange sacks outside the front of your premises on scheduled collection day(s). However the sacks must not block the highway or create a health and safety problem.

If you need to change the amount of sacks delivered quarterly, please contact the sales department on 020 7341 5106 or send an email to for your contract to be amended.

What should I do if I move premises?Customers wishing to cancel their agreement should give us 3 months notice in writing either by email:, or by post: Commercial Waste, Council Offices, 37 Pembroke Road, London W8 6PW.

You may wish to take your sacks to the new premises if you are moving within the borough. If you know the new occupier of your former premises, please give us the details so we can make contact. A new tenant cannot use any sacks left behind without a valid contract for collection with us.

What should I do if the Council fails to collect my refuse?If we fail to collect your refuse please contact Streetline (the Waste Management Contact Centre) on 020 7361 3001, by email: or complete the missed collection form.

What can I recycle?

  • all paper (except shredded paper) and cardboard
  • tins and cans
  • food and drink cartons (also Tetra Pak)
  • empty aerosol cans
  • glass bottles and jars
  • plastic bottles, pots, tubs and trays (rigid plastics) - no lids

How much should a blue or orange sack weigh?And should the waste be presented in any special way? For health and safety reasons any sacks placed out for collection should be able to be lifted comfortably by one person up to shoulder height. No sack should be overfilled, and sacks should always be tied at the top to prevent spillage. They should be presented out for collection in a neat and tidy manner.

What does 'lifts' mean?'Lifts' means the amount of times that sacks are collected for disposal or the bin is emptied by the Council.

What happens when my collection is due on a bank holiday?Wherever possible we will collect your refuse on the bank holiday, however at times such as Christmas, we will be unable to do this and your refuse will be collected on the next available day.

My bin has been stolen or damaged - what do I do?Please contact the sales department to arrange for a replacement bin. You may be charged for the replacement.

What is a Duty of Care document?Under part II of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 anyone who produces, imports, keeps or stores, transports, treats or disposes of waste has a duty to take all reasonable steps to keep it safe. The Duty of Care applies to all businesses.

You are responsible for your waste from when you produce it until you have transferred it to an authorised person. As part of your Duty of Care, you must ensure that:

  • you store your waste securely
  • your waste is transported by a Licensed Waste Carrier – either RBKC Commercial Waste Services or a private contractor
  • you complete a Duty of Care Waste Transfer Note (WTN) and keep it on record for two years

How can I pay my invoice?By post
Cheques should be made payable to: RB of Kensington and Chelsea and sent to: Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, PO Box 189, Jarrow, NE32 9AZ.

Please write the 13-digit customer reference number located on the payment slip section along with your business name and address on the back of the cheque.

Tear off the Payment slip and send it with your payment. 

If your payment covers more than one account, please enclose all the relevant slips.

Debit and Credit cards - Paymentline 020 7341 5107
Debit cards - We accept Switch, Visa Delta, Maestro, Solo and Electron.

Credit cards - We accept Visa and Mastercard, you can pay by phoning our Paymentline on 020 7341 5107 with your card details. 

Please quote your 13-digit Customer Reference Number located on the payment slip section. 
This Service is provided between 9am and 5pm from Monday to Friday.

In person
You can pay using our self-service payment kiosks at the Town Hall, Hornton Street, Kensington, W8 7NX. The town hall is open between 9am and 5pm from Monday to Friday.

Bank Giro Credit
Please fill in all the details on the slip and take it to any bank. You may have to pay for this service.

Internet Banking
If you have access to online banking, please quote:

  • Sort code 57-20-75 
  • Account number: 00000000

Please use the 13-digit reference number shown at the bottom of your invoice