- Our Council Plan
- Message from the Leader
- What is most important to our communities?
- Our priorities
- Grenfell recovery
- A great place to live, work and learn
- Supporting and safeguarding vulnerable residents
- Healthy, clean and safe
- A place of culture to visit and explore
- Your Council is changing
- Delivering the plan
Healthy, clean and safe
We promote health and wellbeing for the population as a whole, and target our resources on reducing health inequalities between individuals and communities. Better health not only contributes to a better quality of life, it can also enhance resilience, employment and a range of other social outcomes.
The Council is committed to having the cleanest, best maintained streets in London. We remove litter, dog mess and autumn leaves promptly, and regularly empty the 500 litter bins we provide across the borough. Any offensive graffiti and large fly tips are investigated and removed within 24 hours where possible. We also organise intensive clean-ups after major events, such as the Notting Hill Carnival.
Air quality is a major issue in London, especially central London. While regional, national and international action is needed to combat the causes of air pollution, the Council intends to play a leading role in reducing emissions and improving air quality in the borough. This includes greening our own buildings and fleet, encouraging more people to walk and cycle, and promoting the use of electric vehicles by expanding our network of roadside charging points.
Recently, concerns about crime and antisocial behaviour have been on the rise. The Council will continue to support the Police to tackle crime and disorder in the borough. We have carried out an external review of our community safety function and will be engaging with residents on how best to deploy our resources to complement the work of the Police and voluntary action within communities.
What we want to see
- Reduced health inequalities.
- Champion participation in sport and physical activity, with an affordable leisure offer.
- Exceptionally clean, safe and well maintained streets.
- Better air quality, with reduced emissions from both vehicles and buildings.
- Excellent environmental services, including refuse collection and recycling.
- Young people at risk of offending are diverted away from criminality.
- Adults and children feel safe and secure at home and in their daily lives.
- Antisocial behaviour is tackled effectively.
What we will do
- Promote healthy living and physical and mental wellbeing.
- Promote uptake of immunisation.
- Offer swimming sessions for free to under 8s and for just £1 to under 16s.
- Continue to keep our streets exceptionally clean and well maintained.
- Enhance the environment by attacking grot-spots, by increased and sustainable planting, by promoting car clubs and greening the Council’s vehicles and buildings.
- Roll out the network of electric car charging points across the borough.
- Insist that all construction vehicles at building sites meet the latest emission standards.
- Campaign to discourage drivers from idling their engines.
- Continue to provide twice weekly household waste collections across the whole borough.
- Tighten enforcement so that rubbish is not being left out on the wrong days.
- Continue to support the Police and local communities to prevent crime and stay safe.