School term and holiday dates for the 2019 - 20 academic year
The following are the recommended school terms and holiday dates for nursery, primary and secondary schools. Please note that schools have the autonomy to determine their own term dates.
The School Admissions Team will continue to consult on and determine recommended dates, as outlined below, but schools are now able to vary these dates as they see fit. You are advised to contact your child’s school directly to confirm their term dates.
You can download the information about determined school term and holiday dates 2019 - 20 or view the information below by clicking on the term link.
- Autumn term part 1 - Monday 2 September - Friday 18 October 2019 (35 days)
- Half-term - Monday 21 October - Friday 25 October 2019
- Autumn term part 2 - Monday 28 October – Thursday 19 December 2019 (39days)
- Christmas break - Friday 20 December 2019 - Friday 3 January 2020
- Spring term part 1 - Monday 6 January - Friday 14 February 2020 (30 days)
- Half-term - Monday 17 February - Friday 21 February 2020
- Spring term part 2 - Monday 24 February - Friday 3 April 2020 (30 days)
- Easter break - Monday 6 April - Friday 17 April 2020 (Easter weekend 10 - 13 April 2020)
- Summer term part 1 - Monday 20 April - Friday 22 May 2020 (24 days - May Day Bank Holiday will be taken on 8 May 2020 to coincide with VE Day anniversary)
- Half-term - Monday 25 May - Friday 29 May 2020 (Spring Bank Holiday will be taken on 25 May 2020)
- Summer term part 2 - Monday 1 June - Tuesday 21 July 2020 (37 days)
- Summer break - Wednesday 22 July onwards
- Christmas Day - Wednesday 25 December 2019
- Boxing Day - Thursday 26 December 2019
- New Year’s Day - Wednesday 1 January 2020
- Good Friday - Friday 10 April 2020
- Easter Monday - Monday 13 April 2020
- May Day Bank Holiday - Friday 8 May 2020
- Spring Bank Holiday - Monday 25 May 2020
- August Bank Holiday - Monday 27 August 2020
The dates show schools being open for 195 days. From these, five staff training dates are to be determined by the school’s governing body. Some governing bodies may choose to hold staff training at ‘twilight sessions’ after the school day and to extend the school holiday for staff. Schools which close for local elections are required to extend the summer term or coincide it with an 'inset' day.
Recommended common transition day for Year 6 pupils to visit the secondary school that they will be attending
- For pupils starting secondary school September 2019 – Wednesday 3 July 2019
- For pupils starting secondary school September 2020 – Wednesday 1 July 2020