Prince Philip - Duke of Edinburgh

1921 - 2021

It is with deep sadness that the Council and residents have learned of the death of His Royal Highness, the Duke of Edinburgh.

The death of His Royal Highness, the Duke of Edinburgh.

Steps for builders

The steps that developers and builders should be taking to ensure resisdents are protected as much as possible from disturbance, noise and vibration.

Before submitting a planning application

  • View the Council's noise SPD to see what we require
  • If the development requires an EIA, then a construction noise assessment must be carried out
  • Projects not requiring an EIA may still be required to submit (by planning condition) a Demolitions and Construction method Statement
  • Follow best practice guidance set out in BS 5228-1:2009
  • You may be required to carry out surveys to establish the existing background noise level to set noise targets for construction in accordance with BS 7445-1:2003 (see page 5 of the noise SPD)
  • Agree noise criteria, vibration levels and construction working methods with Environmental Health
  • Refer to Annex E of BS 5228-1:2009 to see whether sound insulation or re-housing will be required
  • If it is a major site, consider obtaining prior consent under S61 of the COPA 1974.
  • Use BS5228-2:2009 to assess the impact of any piling operations

On site

  • If prior approval is not sought, the Council may serve a S60 notice setting site conditions
  • Noisy operations may only occur during normal working hours Monday-Friday 0800-1800.  Noisy works are not permitted on Saturdays, Sundays or Bank Holidays
  • If you wish to work outside the normal hours you must seek approval from the Council 14 days in advance unless it is an emergency
  • Monitor sound levels following the method set out in BS 5228-1:2009 Annex G
  • If you wish to change the type of plant or programme of works, which could affect environmental conditions, you must obtain permissions from the Council first
  • Implement the appropriate noise control measures listed in the next column
  • Deliveries should be confined to permitted normal working hours
  • Arrangements for wide loads or other deliveries requiring police notification or an early/late delivery time must be brought to the attention of the Council immediately
  • Work must be carried out so that any vibrations arising will not cause damage to adjacent structures -see BS 7385-2:1993

Noise and Control Measures

  • Boundary screening
  • Electrically powered machinery rather than petrol or diesel
  • Exhaust silencers
  • Sound reduced compressors
  • Acoustic enclosures
  • No sheet piling with diesel or air driven impact or drop hammer
  • Noisy plant should be sited far away from noise sensitive buildings and temporary acoustic panels should be used where possible
  • For information about sound insulation see page 15 of the noise SPD.


  • You must protect residents and users of nearby buildings from nuisance, harm and physical damage
  • You will be obliged to comply with vibration limits agreed with the Council
  • These limits will consider human exposure (BS6472-1:2008) and the need to protect structures using BS7345-2:1993