Self-build and custom build

What is self-build and custom-build housing?

This is where an individual builds their own home or contracts a builder to create a ‘custom-built’ home for them.

Building your own home can be a more affordable route to home ownership, as well as providing opportunities for smaller builders and contractors, creating local jobs and contributing to the local economy.

Self-build and custom housebuilding register

From April 2016 the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 requires local authorities to keep a self-build and custom housebuilding register.

The register is intended to help the Council to see what demand there is. It does not mean that you will be provided with a plot of land. As one of the most densely populated areas of land in the country there is very limited supply of land within the borough but the register will help us in our future planning and housing policy.

To register your interest in building or designing your own home in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, you must be:

  • aged 18 or over

  • a British citizen, a national of a EEA state other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland; and

  • seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in Kensington and Chelsea to build a house to occupy as your sole or main residence.

You can join the register as an individual, part of a couple or part of an association. Couples and associations must appoint a lead contact.

What happens after I register?

We will reply to you within 28 days and either confirm that you have been accepted onto the register or if we believe you are ineligible, we will tell you why. If the application is from an association we will only reply to the lead contact.

We may contact you from time to time and we may ask you to confirm that you are still interested in self-build and being part of the register.

We may also contact you if Government requirements change and we need to collect further information.

You can ask for your information to be changed or removed from the register at any time by emailing In the case of an association, a written request for removal must come from the lead contact.

If we have any reason to believe that an individual or association is no longer eligible for entry in the register, we will notify you and give the reasons for our decision.

Will my details be shared?

The register will not be made public, though we may share headline data – such as the overall demand in the borough. This will not name individuals.

When you complete the form you will have an option to consent to your details being shared with landowners identified as potentially having plots available for self-build projects.

If you would like to register your interest in self-build or custom-build please complete the form below. If you have any questions, please email

1 Start 2 Page 2 3 Page 3 4 Confirmation 5 Complete


About you

Please provide your details, or details of the lead contact if registering as a couple or association of individuals: