Payments for home owners

As a home owner, there are various ways the Council can help you organise major works payments.

When to pay

You should remember that the charges are due from you on the due quarter dates, as outlined in your lease agreement, and not on receipt of an invoice. We do send invoices to you to help to to pay your charges and to give you a record of your account. The final account amount is due from the receipt of the final account statement.

Ways to pay

  • Make payments online. You will need your payment reference number.
  • Pay with cash or by cheque at any post office. Make cheques payable to The Post Office Ltd. You will need your swipe card and please allow three days for the payment to reach us.
  • Pay over the phone with our 24 hours payment line on 020 3974 4670, option 6.
  • Post a cheque or postal order to The Director of Finance, Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, Town Hall, Hornton Street, W8 7NX. Please quote your payment reference number on the back of the cheque or postal order.
  • Make payments by direct debit or standing order, contact Home Ownership on 020 7605 6464 for a form to complete.

Are you having difficulty paying?

If you are struggling to pay for major work, please let us know as soon as possible. We can give you more information about the options available and try to find a solution.

Major works are a part of your service charges, as defined in the lease. Failure to pay service charges, where there is no dispute, will be breaking the conditions of your lease.

What if I’m taken to court?

We must protect our interest in the property and even though we will only take legal action as a last resort, sometimes it does happen. You will have to pay your major works plus our legal costs and interest. Legal action could result in problems getting credit, a charging order, an order for sale, bankruptcy, or forfeiture of the lease. We will avoid legal action if at all possible.

What happens in cases of forfeiture?

Forfeiture is very serious and should be avoided at all costs. If your lease is forfeited, you will lose your home. Not only that, but you will still have to pay any arrears that you have against the property, such as a mortgage or service charges. You should not confuse this with an order for sale where we can ask the court to order the sale of your home and you may get something from the proceeds of the sale of the property. In forfeiture cases you get nothing.

Struggling with debt?

If you are having problems with debt, lots of organisations provide advice and information packs that can help with this:

National Debtline

Step Change Debt Charity

Kensington and Chelsea Citizens Advice