Resident Safety

Gas safety and servicing

Gas Safety

You have a responsibility to ensure that your gas appliances are safe and are inspected on an annual basis by a Gas Safe-registered engineer.

A faulty gas supply or appliance can be dangerous, not just to you and your family but also to your neighbours. By having your gas appliances serviced every year, you can reduce this danger. Gas safety risks include:

  • gas leaks
  • fires
  • explosions
  • carbon monoxide poisoning

If you sub-let your property you are also responsible to your tenants under the Gas Safety (Installations and Use) Regulations 1998. This means you must:

  • ensure that all gas appliances, installation pipework and flues for which you are responsible are in a safe condition
  • arrange for your gas appliances and flues to be checked for safety every 12 months
  • ensure the work is carried out using a Gas Safe-registered engineer by asking to see a current Gas Safe registration
  • keep a record of all safety checks carried out for at least two years after the safety check
  • ensure your tenant receives a copy of the gas safety check record within 28 days of the inspection
  • ensure any new tenant receives a copy of the current gas safety check record before they move in for the first time.

The Health and Safety Executive website has full information on gas safety and gas checks for both homeowners and landlords; or call their advice line on 0800 300 363. 

All gas work in your home must be done by a Gas Safe-registered gas engineer. This includes installing, repairing or servicing a gas boiler, gas fire, cooker or hob. You can check on the Gas Safe Register website if your tradesman is registered.

Gas Servicing

Information for tenants

A faulty gas supply or appliance can be dangerous, not just to you and your family but also to your neighbours. By having your gas appliances serviced every year, you can reduce this danger. Around 50 people die each year from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. Making sure your gas appliances are running efficiently can also help to keep your gas bills down. 

We have a legal obligation to maintain and service the gas appliances in your home. This regular inspection is a statutory requirement. It ensures that all gas pipework, appliances and flues within your home are checked to make sure they are all working correctly and safely. 

Domestic gas servicing is carried out by our specialist contractor K&T Heating. All engineers carry identification and are Gas Safe registered. 

K&T Heating will write to you to arrange an appointment to do this work approximately 63 days before the gas service is due. If you cannot make this appointment, you need to contact them directly as quickly as possible and reschedule.

Appointment times

Weekdays, 8am to 5pm
Saturdays, 8am to 1pm

Under the terms of your tenancy agreement you must allow access to your home so we can carry out annual checks and any required maintenance. 

What happens if I refuse to allow access to my home for gas servicing?

If you do not allow access for the gas engineers, we will take legal action against you.

If you do not allow access to your home after three appointments, our officers will investigate and will apply for a court warrant for access. You will be notified of the court hearing date if you wish to attend.  

Once the warrant is obtained, we will hand deliver a letter giving you at least 24 hours notice of the date we intend to force entry into the property, to carry out the gas safety check.  This may include a lock change and police attendance, if we think this is necessary.

If you would like more information on our gas servicing procedure, please contact the Customer Services Centre on 0800 137 111.

What should I do if I smell gas?

If you suspect a gas leak in your property, you should immediately:

  • open all doors and windows
  • shut off all gas supply at the meter control valve
  • call Gas Emergency line (Cadent) on 0800 111 999.

Top tips for gas safety

  1. Allow access to your home for gas servicing and safety checks every year.
  2. Always check the engineer's ID card.
  3. As a tenant, you should have an audible carbon monoxide alarm in your home. If you do not, call our Customer Service Centre on 0800 137 111.  This alarm will alert you to the presence of the poisonous gas, carbon monoxide which is odourless, colourless and tasteless. It is produced by the incomplete burning of carbon-containing fuels. 
  4. If you think there might be a gas leak or notice any signs of carbon monoxide, act fast and follow the advice for gas emergencies.
  5. Homeowners should only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix or service gas appliances. 

Last updated: 23 February 2023