Housing options for older people

For many older people, staying in their home is their key priority. There are a number of support services to help older residents to maintain their independence. It may also be possible to make adaptations to your home, so you can continue to live there. For more information, visit the Staying in your own home pages on the People First website. People First is for residents in Kensington and Chelsea, Hammersmith and Fulham and Westminster. It has information on a wide range of subjects to help people to live independently.

If you own your home, equity release could be a way to release money from your home without having to move. This could help to pay for repairs or adaptations to your property, or for care and support.

If you currently live in social housing (renting from the Council or a housing association) and wish to move, the Council runs a number of schemes to help you.  If you have spare bedrooms in your property which you no longer need and would like to move to somewhere smaller and easier to manage, the Under-occupation scheme could help you.

The Seaside and Country Homes scheme helps older people to move out of London into sheltered or retirement housing.

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing consists of self-contained flats within buildings that provide a safe and secure environment for older people. It allows you to have your own home, while benefiting from the reassurance of staff on site during working hours. Most schemes have communal lounge areas and gardens and some organise activities for residents.

In Kensington and Chelsea sheltered housing is available to rent from the Council and a number of registered social landlords. It is available for people aged 60 years and over (or 55 years and disabled). If you are still working, there may be restrictions about the number of hours you can work to qualify for sheltered housing.

The demand for sheltered housing is high. How long you wait depends on your priority for housing and how flexible you are about which schemes you will consider.

If you are interested in sheltered accommodation and would like to find out how to apply, contact the Housing Opportunities Team on 020 7361 3008.

You can also download a copy of our booklet which provides details of the schemes in the borough:

Sheltered housing in Kensington and Chelsea [PDF] (file size 1.59 MB)

Extra care housing

Extra care housing is a specialist form of housing for older people. Residents live in their own flats but have access to care and support services on site 24 hours a day, if they need it. This means extra care housing can accommodate people with a range of needs, including those who would otherwise live in residential care. Extra care housing schemes can feature communal spaces for residents, for example activity rooms, a hairdressing salon or restaurant, and can offer properties either for purchase (private) or for rent from the Council or a Housing Association (affordable). You can find more information about extra care housing on the People First website.


More information on options for older people