DfE Early Years Child Development training
A new online Early years child development training from the Department for Education is now available.
The course is primarily aimed at:
- early years practitioners
- nursery managers
However, the training is available to anyone who may find it useful, including parents and carers.
About the training
The training aims to help early years practitioners and childminders strengthen their child development knowledge. It builds on the reforms to the early years foundation stage (EYFS) statutory framework and supports our aim of improving outcomes for children at age 5.
The flexible online course:
- has been developed in consultation with early years experts
- has been tested with early years practitioners and experts, and refined based on feedback
- provides a greater understanding of child development
- gives practical advice for supporting children in early years settings
- reinforces understanding through videos, learning check questions and end of module tests
- allows you to pause and restart the training at any time
- offers the chance to download certificates of achievement for each module
The first 4 modules of the course are available now and cover:
- child and brain development
- personal, social and emotional development
- communication and language
Further modules will be added throughout 2023.
Contact [email protected] with any questions about the training.
Help us promote the training
We want as many early years practitioners and childminders as possible to complete the training. This will help us in our aim to improve outcomes for all children.
With this in mind, we have created a range of promotional materials. You can use these to promote the online course to early years settings and practitioners in your area.
The materials include:
- a promotional poster for early years settings
- example social media posts for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn
- a selection of social media graphics
- promotional text for websites and newsletters
You can download the promotional materials here. Please share them across your key communications channels. You can also send the materials to early years setting leaders and managers to share with their teams.
We also ask that you consider:
- listing the training in your training directory
- making the training a precursor to other relevant courses
- sharing Department for Education, Foundation Years or GOV.UK social media posts about the training on your own channels