The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Disabled Children’s Service is provided by four teams who work closely together: the Social Work Team, the Short Breaks Team, the Behavioural and Family Support Team and St Quintin's Disabled Children's Centre.
We are here to help you and your family. We understand and want to support you.
- Families who would like short breaks will be given a choice about the assessment that they feel meets their needs. All families are entitled to a CIN assessment, if they would prefer this.
- These assessments can both lead to a service being provided but are different in approach.
- Both Services sit together and are part of the Disabled Children’s Service
The Social Work Team
The Disabled Children’s Social Work Team provides specialist social work services to disabled children and their families. We work with families to:
- Empower – families and their disabled child
- Protect – children from harm
- Prevent – family breakdown and crises
- Proportionality – providing appropriate support
- Partnership – working together with families in a transparent way
- Support – developing clear processes together with families
They can be contacted through the Disabled Children's Team Duty Social Worker by emailing FCSChildrenwithDisabilities@rbkc.gov.uk or calling 0207 598 4921
This team is made up of key workers, occupational therapists a Bi- Borough Direct Payments Officer and a Bi – Borough Inclusion Officer. Services include:
- Short breaks – Care/social activities/play for a disabled child to give parents and siblings a break from caring and giving children/young people new opportunities
- Parenting Interventions/workshops/group work – to empower parents to support their disabled child
- Occupational therapy - If you need an assessment of your child’s ability to manage daily activities at home, and think they may benefit from equipment or adaptations to the home to help them and you do things more easily and safely, contact the social care occupational therapists based with the Disabled Children’s and Short Breaks Teams, to discuss your needs. You can contact Kate Young at email@example.com or Nicola Campbell at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0207 598 4921 to ask for a referral form which can be completed by anyone, with the child and/or parent’s permission.
- A menu of services – for disabled children and their families, available at our in-house disabled children’s centres, at home, or in the community.
You can contact the Short Breaks Team via the Front Door Service by emailing biboroughhealthnotifications@RBKC.gov.uk or calling 07925 894176.
This is a specialist Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service team.
- Advice and guidance
- Prescription medication
- Support for families regarding their disabled child’s behaviour, needs and specific areas of care
You can contact them by emailing FCSBehaviourFamilySupport@rbkc.gov.uk or calling 0207 598 4911.
This is a specialist play service for children with a disability.
This service includes:
- Play schemes after school, weekends and school holidays
- Stay and play for families (every Sunday)
- Summer holidays (overnight holidays for disabled children)
- Family day trips (in the community)
- Family fun days (in the centre)
- Core offer (specialist play services without an assessment)
- Sibling days
- Training (for families, carers and professionals)
- Parents groups
- Information, advice and guidance about inclusion in mainstream provision
The address for St Quintin's Disabled Children's Centre is 2a Wallingford Avenue, London W10 6QB.
You can contact the centre by emailing Rupert Taylor on email@example.com on 0208 969 2570.