Hornimans Adventure Playground exists to provide facilities for play and recreation for children aged between 5 and 16 years who live or attend school in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea and surrounding boroughs. It aims to:
- Improve the quality of life for all children attending through the provision of adventure, enterprise and free play which promotes physical, mental and spiritual well-being.
- Provide, maintain and equip a safe and adventurous play environment staffed by qualified and trained playworkers and volunteers who create a warm and welcoming environment that enhances the development of attending children.
- Provide a varied, fun and stimulating range of activities and off-site trips that meet the social, cultural, educational and recreational needs of children aged 5-16 years.
- Seek and value children’s involvement and input at all levels and encourage them and their parents to take an active role in the running of the playground.
- Work to raise people’s awareness of the importance of play in children’s lives and encourage the support, participation and active interest of local people in the running of the playground.
- Promote equality and inclusion and project a positive image of children (e.g. those with disabilities, behavioural problems and ethnic minority groups).
The Playground comprises:
- Outdoor adventure play structures suiting the needs of differing age groups/abilities
- a goat pen home for our pygmy goats, Ronald and Timothy
- an open hard-surface area for sporting activities, and a ‘quiet’ garden which we use for gardening.
The wheelchair-accessible building comprises:
- large hall for indoor activities
- art room
- music room / study room
- office and equipment storage and access to a disabled toilet with shower.
A daily tuck shop is provided where a child can purchase a snack & drink for a nominal sum.
We provide children with a broad range of exciting play opportunities designed to help them develop their full potential through activities/workshops that are free, multi-cultural and promote creativity, imagination and self-expression. Providing play opportunities to include Physical, Environmental, Creative, Cultural, Imaginative.