Private and residential street trading at Notting Hill Carnival

If you operate a food business over the Notting Hill Carnival weekend and do this regularly, you may need to register as a food business. You may also need to do this if you intend to undertake food operations at other locations.

You need to register with the Local Authority where you are based, or store your food or vehicle. If this is in the borough of Kensington and Chelsea, you can find details on the Starting a food business page.

What to expect at Carnival

You will be inspected over the carnival weekend and you need to ensure that you follow the requirements of:

  • food hygiene
  • food standards
  • health and safety legislation

This includes legislation such as:

  • The Food Safety Act 1990
  • The Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013
  • EC Regulations 852/2004 and 178/2002
  • The Food Information Regulations 2014
  • Health and Safety at Work Act 1974

If you are not the landowner of your residency, you will need to contact your property owner or manager. This includes tenant management organisations. This is to gain permission for any activity taking place (including trading of any kind) from private property.

Below are some of the things Environmental Health Officers will check for:

Food Safety

  1. You must have adequate sinks and a plentiful supply of hot and cold running water. Most businesses hire a TEAL unit or similar for the carnival weekend.  You must have a separate sink for food washing and another for equipment washing.
  2. In addition to sinks you must have a dedicated wash hand basin with a plentiful supply of hot and cold running water. You must provide soap and hand towels.
  3. You must store food appropriately at all times and have the appropriate equipment to do so. Hot food must be above 63°C and cold food below 8°C.
  4. You must provide a probe thermometer so you and your staff can check temperatures.
  5. You and your staff must be adequately trained/supervised in food safety. As a very minimum staff should be trained to Level 2 in Food Safety.
  6. You must have adequate cleaning supplies for disinfecting and sanitising work surfaces. You must ensure there is no risk of cross-contamination. Ensure dedicated areas for raw meat and cooked foods are kept separate.
  7. You must have regard to allergens and know what is in your food and provide the information to customers on request.

Further details of the food hygiene standards for market stalls, mobile vehicles and other similar catering operations can be found here:

Market Stall Standards

Health and Safety

  1. You must ensure any BBQ’s and cookers are suitably guarded. You must provide your own guards and not use the police guards.
  2. You must ensure any electrical sockets and leads are suitable for outdoor use and are in good condition.
  3. Liquid petroleum gas cylinders must be set up by a competent person and hoses in good condition.
  4. Only diesel generators are to be used. Petrol generators are not allowed.
  5. You must have suitable and sufficient fire extinguishers, a fire blanket and a fully stocked first aid kit.
  6. Any gazebos or tarpaulin sheets must be kept away from combustible sources such as BBQs, cookers and generators.

Further details of the health and safety standards for market operators, market stalls, mobile caterers and street food sellers can be found here:

Health and Safety: Market Stall Standards [PDF] (file size 969.4 KB)