Kensington and Chelsea has the largest Moroccan community in the UK and naturally many borough residents are concerned about their family and friends following the disaster.
Councillors and Council officers continue to meet with local community representatives to discuss what can be done to help.
We have opened books of condolence at:
- The Civic reception in Kensington Town Hall, Hornton Street, open Monday to Friday from 7.30am to 7pm.
- North Kensington Library, 108 Ladbroke Grove, open from 9.30am to 8pm on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday; 5pm Friday and Saturday and 10am to 5pm on Wednesdays
- Al Manaar, 244 Acklam Road, open all week, from 9am to 8pm.
Cllr Sarah Addenbrooke, Lead Member for Communities said:
“Following the devastating news emerging from Morocco, we met with some residents and groups from the Moroccan Community and other voluntary sector partners to see what support the Council and others are able to provide towards their Community Relief Effort.”
“The local community in the borough have responded with amazing speed and tremendous drive to do what they can to help those affected both in Marrakesh and locally and we will support them in this. The scenes coming out of Morocco are devastating and we know the disaster will impact communities here in the Borough. We're monitoring the situation closely, and stand ready to work with local communities, charities, and any forthcoming appeals led by the Disaster Emergency Committee.”
Here is a list of community-led reflection spaces where the local community can find space to come together and receive support.
These services are being offered by the Council, NHS and community and voluntary organisations from Thursday 14 September to Thursday 5 October.
The SPACE, 214 Freston Road, W10 6TT
- Mondays from 11am to 2pm - Grenfell Health and Wellbeing Service/refreshment/peer support
- Thursdays from 11am to 2pm - Refreshment and peer support
- Thursday 21 September from 6pm to 8pm - Dealing with loss in person session (led by a clinician)
Venture Centre, 103A Wornington Road, W10 5YB
- Tuesdays from 10.30am to 3pm reflective space (Venture/SPACE)
- Thursdays from 1pm to 4pm cultural art workshop, reflection space, digital hub service
- Wednesdays from 1pm to 2.30pm Meet and Eat session and 2.30pm to 3.30pm one-to-one peer support
Venture Flashpoint, World’s End Place, SW10 0HE
- Thursdays from 2.30pm to 3.30pm one-to-one peer support
Al Hasaniya Moroccan Women’s Centre, Trellick Tower, Bays 4-5, Golborne Rd,W10 5PA
- Weekdays support helpline and counselling available contact 020 3048 4488.
- Mondays from 10am to 2pm - Consultation and counselling sessions. Contact Imane on 07770 511808 or [email protected]
MCWG (Making Communities Work and Grow), 19 Golborne Road, W10 5NY
- Fridays from 10am to 12pm - women coffee morning (peer support), emotional support
- Fridays from 4.30pm to 6pm - Girls youth support
- Saturdays from 5pm to 7pm - Boys youth support eight to 12 years old
- Saturdays 7pm to 9pm - Boys youth support 13 to 18 year old
Al Manaar, 244 Acklam Road, W10 5YG
- Monday to Friday between 10am to 6pm and weekends from 2pm to 6pm
Condolence book (in place anytime come to reception area), counselling (therapeutic as well religious including Moroccan scholars/imams) by appointment as individuals or as group can be facilitated - call reception self refer or via agency. Mosque comforting zone open for men and women.
Kensington and Chelsea Family Hubs
- Weekdays - Support services email [email protected] or call 020 7598 4608
Holmfield House Family Hub, 4-6 Golborne Road, W10 5PE
- Sundays from 10.30am to 1pm - Coffee morning (SPACE/Kensington and Chelsea Council Early Years)
Bay 20, 71 St Marks Road, W10 6JG
- Fridays from 10am to 4pm - Coffee and a Chat (cafe space)
- Wednesdays from 2pm to 4pm - Bowen Therapy
- Wednesdays 2pm to 4pm by appointment on 020 3579 0384
Westway Trust/The SPACE, 136 Bramley Road, W10 6TJ
- Fridays from 11am to 2pm - Refreshment and support
North Kensington Resource Centre
- Thursday 14 September from 2pm to 6pm - Reflective space and refreshments
- Friday 15 September from 10am to 6pm - Reflective space and refreshments
Grenfell Health and Wellbeing Service
- Seven days a week 8am to 8pm. You can contact the Emotional Support helpline on 020 8637 6279
Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC)
Find out more about how to donate to charities involved in supporting the people of Morocco.