Small grant funding
If your school has a valid travel plan in place, you could be eligible to receive a small grant of up to £500 to support any initiative or activity at your school that promotes sustainable travel.
What can the small grant be used for?
The grant is intended to help fund a single project or combination of measures that will enable your school to support pupils, parents and/or staff in travelling safely and sustainably.
Examples of expenditure include, but are not limited to:
- Event funding, such as Walk to School Breakfasts for Walk to School Week.
- Printing of posters or flyers promoting road safety or sustainable travel.
- Purchase of pool bikes/scooters/helmets to facilitate training or projects.
- Air quality resources for class/pupils’ projects.
- Purchase of hi-visibility vests.
- New lighting for playgrounds/entrances.
- Planting for waiting areas/school entrances.
- Resurfacing of playgrounds/paths (may require match funding).
- Development of parent waiting areas/shelters (may require match funding).
- Development of pages on the school website to promote sustainable travel.
How much can my school apply for?
Your school can apply for a maximum of £500. However, we encourage schools to carefully consider what they require and to obtain competitive quotes for work or resources to ensure effective use of funds. We may also purchase the goods or services you require on your behalf.
How do I apply on behalf of my school?
Please download and complete the small grant application form attached below, and return to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can approve and process the funding. Before completing the form, you will need to know:
- How much funding your school is requesting (as accurate as possible).
- What the funding will be used for.
- How the funding will benefit your school community.
- When you plan to implement your project or make use of your resources.
When can I apply?
There are two opportunities each year for schools to apply for funding; one between 1 October and 11 October, and one between 1 March and 11 March. Applications submitted outside of these periods will be kept until the next funding date.
How do I know if my school is eligible?
To apply for a small grant, your school must have a valid travel plan that has been updated within the last 12 months, and either an accreditation level on STARS or engaged with the STARS scheme. Please refer to the TfL STARS Scheme page for details.
If you are not sure about your school’s eligibility, please contact us at: email@example.com.