Highways licences

Highways licences

If you want to use any space on the public highway for private purposes, you will usually need to contact us for permission.

You will need a licence for:

You also need a licence for:

  • highways excavation
  • mobile lifting
  • works by licence under Section 50 of the New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991
  • construction works
  • making an entrance into a cellar or vault
  • work to let light into an adjacent property


Find out about fees for highways licences.

Contact us

If you have any queries about highway licences email us at highways@rbkc.gov.uk.