To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
This photograph by Sprague and Co. was presented with The Builder on 4 February 1888 shortly after architect George Godwin's death in 1888. Alexander Square was his father's home and Godwin moved back to the house shortly after his death. At the age of 20 he won the first medal awarded by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA). In 1875 reminiscing with friends he recalled when the adjacent fields were full of hare and partridge and now were covered with 1,100 houses, two churches and five public houses.
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC Libraries)
Location of original: LSvf Alexander Sq. 24 D49
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.