Return to the gallery
To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
TH Shepherd's watercolour of Lindsey House is an excellent image of one of the oldest houses in Chelsea. In 1750 Count von Zinzendorff set up a commune for a Moravian religious group. The venture failed and the house was divided into four parts. In 1808 pioneering engineer Sir Marc Brunel took the middle house and it was here that his equally famous son Isambad was brought up. Sir Marc was blamed for some unacceptable alterations that were later corrected at great cost.
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC Libraries)
Location of original: Chelsea printroom A146
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.