To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
Rothenstein's home at 1 Pembroke Cottages, 1950
Pembroke Cottages are situated at the south end of Edwardes Square on the south side and were built in 1844. Originally there were four cottages but only two remain. The artist William Rothenstein moved here with his wife shortly after his return from studying in Paris. During this period he was mainly known for his portraiture, which was praised for his ability to capture his sitter's character. The cottage was later home to Lawrence Houseman, brother of the poet, who painted banners for the Suffragette movement in the back garden.
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC Libraries)
Location of original: LSvf Edwardes Square, Pembroke Cottages K/1525/C
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.