To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
John lays the foundation stone at the Chenil Galleries
Augustus John presiding at the foundation stone ceremony for Chenil Galleries in 1905. A model of the proposed building can be seen at his feet. The site was the original location of the Chelsea Arts Club, a meeting place for artists founded in 1891. By this date the club had moved to Old Church Street where it still flourishes today. On the opposite side of the road the offices of the Board of Guardians can be seen, later to become Chelsea Registry Office and now private offices and antiques market.
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC Libraries)
Location of original: SR235
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.