To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
King's Road in 1820, a watercolour by William P Sherlock
Until 1830 the King's Road was a private road for use by the monarch. Charles II had the rural track gravelled and converted into a carriageway. It became known as The King's Private Road, hence the modern name the King's Road. Access was limited to those carrying a special token. One side stamped The King's Private Road and the other with the King's monogram. Gates, as shown in this watercolour, prevented others from using the road.
Location of original: Chelsea Print Room A772
Copyright: Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC, Libraries)
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.