To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
The Black Lion in 1820, oil by E Carswell
This painting shows the Black Lion in its heyday. Today it is a gastro pub called the Pig's Ear. It is sited at the corner of Old Church Street and Paulton Square. There was an inn on this spot from earliest times. The building shown here dates from the 17th century. At the rear there was a popular tea garden and bowling green. It was rebuilt in 1892.
Location of original: Chelsea Print Room A1040
Copyright: Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC, Libraries)
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.