To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
Cheyne Row looking south in 1900
This hand tinted coloured postcard of Cheyne Row dates from 1905. In 1895 a group of admirers purchased the house to preserve it as a monument to the great man. The house is marked by a relief bust of Carlyle, which can be seen on the first house on the left. Carlyle's statute by Edgar Boehm is visible in the far distance. It was unveiled in the Embankment Gardens in October 1882. The view today has changed very little, except for the vehicles.
Location of original: Local Studies Chpc/15
Copyright: Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC, Libraries)
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.