To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
Cheyne Walk from the river c.1865, photograph by James Hedderly
Cheyne Walk, near Oakley Street, as it appeared before the building of the Embankment. James Hedderly, a local photographer, took a series of pictures of the riverside at Chelsea. He recorded all the changes that took place during the 1860s and 70s. J Coates, boat builders, can be seen on the left with Golding's pier in the centre. Golding's Pier Hotel, just visible behind the trees, was very popular with the steamboat customers. The hotel, along with adjacent properties, was sold to a property developer. They were demolished in 1968 and replaced with luxury flats and car showroom.
Location of original: SB02 A2433
Copyright: Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC, Libraries)
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.