To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
New houses on the north side of Embankment in 1920
This 1920 photograph shows the buildings that were erected along the Embankment from the late 1870s when surplus land was released. The imposing building at the junction is Cheyne House, designed by Richard Norman Shaw. The elaborate light in the centre of the road was erected to commemorate the opening of the Embankment in 1874. It was moved in the 1930s to a small garden near Albert Bridge.
Location of original: SB02 CM1926
Copyright: Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC, Libraries)
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.