To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
The western side of Tite Street looking south in 1905
Tite Street was built as an access road to the Embankment in the mid 1870s. It is named after Sir William Tite, MP, who as a member of the Metropolitan Board of Works played a significant role in the building of Chelsea Embankment. Artists and writers eagerly sought after the plots. Oscar Wilde's house is the fourth house on the right. Other famous residents of the street included Edwin Abbey, the American artist; the cartoonist, Carlo Pellegrini (known as Ape) and Frank Miles.
Location of original: Local Studies Chpc/89
Copyright: Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC, Libraries)
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.