To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
The Orangery, Walpole House in 1830, a watercolour by Elizabeth Guston
Sir John Vanbrugh designed Walpole House Orangery illustrated here. He was commissioned by Sir Robert Walpole, Britain's first Prime Minister who resided here from 1722 to 1745. It was used in August 1729 for a banquet in honour of Queen Caroline, wife of George II, and her children. Later the house was converted by Sir John Soane into an Infirmary for the Royal Hospital. The Orangery was incorporated as part of the Hospital's library.
Location of original: Chelsea Print Room B1073
Copyright: Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC, Libraries)
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.