To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
White Styles, now Royal Avenue
It is difficult to identify this rural scene with Royal Avenue today. It was originally laid out with Burton Court as a carriageway to the Royal Hospital. By 1748 It was known as White Stile Walk from the white ladder stiles located at each end. The current name, Royal Avenue, dates from 1875. It was made up with gravel in 1691 and enclosed by a brick wall and wooden gates. In 1719 a gatehouse was built in the northwest corner. It was demolished in 1833 when the King's Road was opened to the public. From the 1830s houses were built on either side of the open space.
Location of original: Chelsea Print Room C174
Copyright: Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC, Libraries)
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.